Updated 12 February 2021
Avivo are closely following the information provided by the Government and will provide updates over the coming weeks.
What do we know so far?
- The Australian Government has developed a strategy to deliver COVID-19 vaccines to everyone living in Australia.
- The vaccine roll-out roadmap outlines the staged roll-out of the vaccine to priority groups. This is expected to commence from late-February 2021.
- It is important to remember that a COVID-19 vaccine is just one part of keeping our community safe and healthy. It is equally important for everyone to continue and maintain COVIDSafe practises, such as hand hygiene, physical distancing and wearing masks when required.
- At this time, the Australian Government maintains that that the COVID-19 vaccination is voluntary, but strongly encouraged. They state that the vaccine will be safe, free and voluntary. The Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) will monitor the situation and update its advice accordingly
- The Australian Government wish to assure Australians that the Therapeutic Goods Administration’s (TGA) rigorous assessment process of potential COVID-19 vaccines will ensure approved vaccines are safe and effective. All vaccines are thoroughly tested for safety before they are approved for use in Australia. This includes careful analysis of clinical trial data, ingredients, chemistry, manufacturing and other factors.
- The Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine has been provisionally approved by the TGA for people 16 years and older. The approval is subject to strict conditions, and Pfizer will be required to continue providing information to the TGA on the safety, efficacy and quality of the vaccine.
- To keep up to date you can find information, including translated information, on the Department of Health’s COVID-19 Vaccines website. You can also subscribe to receive the COVID-19 Vaccines Update.
We recently attended a webinar ‘COVID 19 – What you need to know’ presented by the Older Person’s Advocacy Network (OPAN).
This webinar may be useful to share with customers, who are looking for more information around the vaccine. The panel discuss older persons’ rights to make their own decisions about the COVID-19 vaccine. It offers the opportunity to learn more about the COVID-19 vaccination, its ability to protect older people from COVID-19, and how to support older people to decide if the COVID-19 vaccine is right for them. You can watch the 1-hour webinar here.